Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Walmer within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Walmer, town and par. with ry. sta., on E. coast of Kent, 2 miles SW. of Deal by rail, 867 ac., pop. 4309; P.O., T.O., and P.O., T.O. at Walmer Road. Walmer is an ancient place, and is a member of the Cinque Port of Sandwich. It consists of 2 parts - Lower and Upper, has many pleasant residences, and is much resorted to during the bathing season. Walmer Castle, built by Henry VIII., has long been regarded as the official residence of the Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports. The Duke of Wellington, as Warden, resided here every autumn from 1829 until his death in 1852. In the town are cavalry, infantry, and marine hospital barracks, and a garrison school. Walmer formed part of the parl. bor. of Sandwich, which was disfranchised in 1885.