Victoria Grove, Kent

Romanoff lodge

Uploader's Comments

Built in 1852 by Thomas Allfree on the site of a late eighteenth century cottage occupying, along with Castle Cottage, the site of old gravel or sand pits. Allfree was the proprietor of Romanoff House School (occupying the building in London Road now known as Vale Towers), founded by him in the 1830s; the present Rose Hill School is in lineal descent. Allfree used the name Romanoff because he had been a tutor to the Russian royal family.

Uploaded to Geograph by Paul Gillett on 11 September 2010

Creative Commons License Photo © Paul Gillett, 11 September 2010. Licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons licence

Photo Navigator is a Good Stuff website.