On 9th August 1867, the Stamford & Essendine Railway opened an eight and a half mile branch from Stamford East station to Wansford, on the Northampton to Peterborough line of the London & North Western Railway, with stations at Barnack, Ufford Bridge, Wansford Road and Wansford. Known locally as The Bread and Onion Line, it had very limited traffic potential and only Barnack station was near a village. The line was closed to passengers on 1st July 1929, and to goods in 1931. This view is just north of the site of Ufford Bridge station and looking in the direction of Barnack. The woodland on the right is known as Ufford Oaks.
Uploaded to Geograph by Marathon on 30 April 2011
Photo © Marathon, 30 April 2011.
Licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons licence