The original River Lea flowed 70 miles from Leagrove Marsh near Luton to the River Thames at Bow Creek. The River Lee Act of 1766 provided for the construction of 15 new cuts to straighten the course of the river by eliminating loops which made it difficult to navigate. This is one of those cuts and hence it is a navigation rather than a river. The Lea passes a little further to the east here, beyond King George's Reservoir. Historically the river is spelled Lea while the navigation is Lee.
Uploaded to Geograph by Marathon on 19 April 2017