We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?Upload Photo
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Whalley within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Whalley, township and vil. with ry. sta., NE. Lancashire, and par., partly also in N. div. West-Riding Yorkshire - par. (containing the towns of Accrington, Bacup. Burnley, Clitheroe, Colne, Haslingden, Nelson, &c.), 115,382 ac., pop. 244,395; township, 1603 ac., pop. 895; vil., 3½ miles S. of Clitheroe and 7½ NE. of Blackburn by rail; P.O., T.O. A Cistercian abbey was founded here in 1296, and its ruins attest the splendour of its architecture. Whalley church is a venerable structure rebuilt in 1100, having been founded in 628. The parish is the largest in Lancashire, and one of the largest in England; it consists of 49 townships (including 1 in Yorkshire), and is ecclesiastically divided into 43 entire districts and 10 parts.
A village in Blackburn hundred, in the county of Cheshire.