We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?Upload Photo
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Shrewsbury within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Shrewsbury, parl. and mun. bor., and co. town of Shropshire, on river Severn, 42 miles NW. of Birmingham and 162 miles NW. of London by rail, 3674 ac., pop. 26.478; 5 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. Shrewsbury, with its fine old timbered houses, is one of the most picturesque of English towns. It is situated on a peninsula formed by a bend of the Severn, which is spanned by two stone bridges - the English bridge, leading to the suburb of Abbey-Foregate; and the Welsh bridge, leading to the suburb of Frankwell. Among the chief objects of interest are the remains of the old walls; the ruins of the castle, built immediately after the Conquest; the church of Holy Cross, originally attached to a great Benedictine abbey; the grammar school of Edward VI., now ranking high among public schools; the old markethouse, of time of Elizabeth; and the monuments to Lord Clive and Lord Hill. The Quarry Promenade, along the river side, has a fine avenue of lime trees, planted in 1719. Shrewsbury is a railway centre; and it has glass-staining and malting, linen-thread mfrs., iron foundries, and agricultural-implement works. It was a place of great importance in the frontier wars of the Saxon and Norman periods, and in 1403 was the scene of a great battle between the forces of the Earl of Northumberland and those of Henry IV., in which the earl was defeated and his son, "Hotspur," slain. Shrewsbury was first chartered by the Conqueror. It returns 1 member to Parliament; it returned 2 members from the time of Edward I. until 1885.
A village in Shrewsbury hundred, in the county of Shropshire.
Ten manors recorded in Domesday.