We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?Upload Photo
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Sherborne within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Sherborne.-- market town and par. with ry. sta., Dorset, 4¾ miles NE. of Yeovil Junction, 18 miles N. of Dorchester, and 118 SW. of London - par., 6467 ac., pop. 5636; town (comprising parts of Sherborne and Castletonpars.), 411 ac., pop. 5053; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-days, Thursday and Saturday. Sherborne was the seat of a bishoprie from 705 until about 1075, when the see was removed to Old Sarum. The parish church was the church of the abbey, founded in 998 on the site of an earlier cathedral church; recently restored by the Digbys, it is one of the finest minsters in the south of England. The grammar school is now one of the largest publie schools in the kingdom. On an eminence near the town are the remains of the Norman castle built in the time of Stephen, and stormed by Fairfax in 1645. In the castle grounds is an Elizabethan mansion (Sherborne Castle), seat of the Digby family, built by Sir Walter Raleigh. Bradley (1692-1762), the astronomer, was a native of Sherborne, which has glove making, button and lace making, and silk throwing.
A village in Sherborne hundred, in the county of Dorset.
Two manors recorded in Domesday.