We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?Upload Photo
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Rugby within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Rugby, market town and par., Warwickshire, on river Avon, 15 miles NE. of Warwick, 30 SE. of Birmingham, and 83 NW. of London by rail, 2190 ac., pop. 9891; P.O., T.O, 2 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. Rugby is an ancient place, but it first came into prominent notice in the 18th century in connection with its school, which was founded in 1567 by Lawrence Sheriff, a native of the neighbouring village of Brownsover, and which has risen under a series of able headmasters, including Dr Arnold, to be one of the first public schools in England. The school occupies a splendid range of buildings in the Elizabethan style, possesses an endowment estimated at from £5000 to £6000 a year, and has usually from 400 to 500 boys; it induces many wealthy families to settle in the place. Rugby has become an important railway centre, and has consequently a very extensive transit trade. It has no mfrs. of note, but it has large fairs for horses, cattle, and sheep.
A village in Marton hundred, in the county of Warwickshire.