Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Nantwich within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Nantwich.-- (or Namptwich), market town, par., and township, Cheshire, on river Weaver, 5 miles SW. of Crewe, 36 miles SW. of Manchester, and 158 miles NW. of London - par., 3578 ac., pop. 8174; town and township, 696 ac., pop. 7495; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Saturday. As the seat of extensive saltworks Nantwich was in early times a place of not a little consequence. The Welsh carried on a considerable trade in salt; and in order to harass that people King Henry III. ordered the brine pits to, be filled up, a proceeding which gave a serious shock' to the progress of the town. Many battles were fought! here between the English and the Welsh; and in olden days the town was more than once ravaged by fire and pestilence. The manufacture of boots and shoes is now the prevailing industry; leather and clothing mfrs., ironfounding, &c., are other local employments. A short distance from the town the Grand Junction Canal is joined by the Ellesmere Canal.
A village in Warmundestrou hundred, in the county of Cheshire.