We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?Upload Photo
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Margate within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Margate, mun. bor., par., and seaside resort, Kent, in Isle of Thanet, 5 miles NW. of Ramsgate and 74 miles E. of London by rail - par., 3919 ac. and 618 foreshore, pop. 18,226; mun. bor., 995 ac., pop. 16,030; 2 Banks, 3 newspapers. The place was formerly known as Mergate, meaning a passage to the sea. The mun. bor., which received its charter of incorporation in 1857, is a corporate member of the Cinque Port of Dover. Margate is undoubtedly the most familiar seaside resort of Londoners, of whom many thousands visit the place every year. Much has been done in the town for the convenience and comfort of visitors; piers and esplanades especially have been constructed at great expense. The town is well known for its fine hotels and its hospitals for the reception of invalids. Sea fishing is the chief industry, considerable numbers of flat fish being brought to the shore. At W. end of pier is a lighthouse 70 ft. high, with fixed light 85 ft. above high water and seen 10 miles.
A village in Thanet hundred, in the county of Kent.