We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?Upload Photo
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Lasswade within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Lasswade, small town and par. with ry. sta., Edinburghshire - par. (containing Loanhead and parts of Bonnyrigg and Peniculk), 10,678 ac., pop. 8872; town, on river North Esk, 6 miles SE. of Edinburgh by road and 9¾ miles by rail, pop. 1232; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank; the town is connected by a stone bridge with Westmill, a suburb in Cockpen par. Lasswade is picturesquely situated, and is one of the summer resorts of the people of Edinburgh. It has paper mills, flour mills, and a carpet factory. In front of the parish church is a Runic cross to Dr Smith, of Lasswade, and his son, Colonel Smith, the chief engineer officer at the siege of Delhi. In the ruins of the old parish church, adjacent, are the burying-places of the Melville family and of the Drummonds of Hawthornden. Sir Walter Scott lived at Lasswade Cottage from 1798 to 1804. De Quincey resided many years in the neighbourhood.