We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?Upload Photo
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Kirkintilloch within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Kirkintilloch, town and par., in detached part of Dumbartonshire--par., 7146 ac., pop. 10,591; town, on Luggie Water, adjacent to its confluence with the Kelvin, and on the Forth and Clyde Canal, 8 m. NE. of Glasgow and 400 m. NW. of London by rail, pop. 8029; P.O., T.O. 2 Banks; part of the Lenzie portion of the town is in Cadder par., Lanarkshire. Kirkintilloch sprang from a fort on Antoninus' Wall, now represented by a flat oblong mound, at the W. end of the town, called the Peel. Numerous Roman remains have been found, including a legionary stone, preserved in the Hunterian Museum of Glasgow University. Kirkintilloch was made a burgh of barony in 1170; it became a burgh under the Police Act in 1871. Among its industrial establishments are chemical works, iron foundries, steam saw-mills, and a power-loom factory. The weaving of lappet muslin is carried on to a small extent, and coal mining is being rapidly developed in the district.