We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?Upload Photo
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Kilsyth within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Kilsyth, town and par., S. Stirlingshire - par., 13,121 ac., pop. 6840; town, near river Kelvin and Forth and Clyde Canal, 12¾ miles NE. of Glasgow, 35 W. of Edinburgh, and 400 NW. of London by rail, pop. 5405; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Kilsyth dates from 1665; it was made a burgh of barony in 1826. It has some weaving, but the inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the neighbouring limestone and sandstone quarries, and coal and iron mines. The battle of Kilsyth, in which the Covenanters under Baillie were defeated with great slaughter by Montrose, was fought 15th August 1645. Remarkable religious revivals took place at Kilsyth in 1742 and 1839. A little N. of the town are the ruins of Kilsyth Castle, the old seat of the Viscounts Kilsyth; it was garrisoned against Cromwell in 1650. The Kilsyth Hills are a part of the Lennox range; they reach in Meikle Bin, 4 miles NW. of Kilsyth, an alt. of 1870 ft.