Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Kilmaurs within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Kilmaurs, small town and par. with ry. sta., N. Ayrshire - par., 5900 ac., pop. 3704; town, on Carmel Water, 2¼. miles NW. of Kilmarnock, pop. 1203; P.O., T.O.; has shoe and bonnet factories, and in the neighbourhood are coal and iron mines; the church dates from the early part of the 15th century; Kilmaurs was formerly a burgh of barony (1527) under the Earls of Glencairn; it was at one time noted for its cutlery.