Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Inverurie within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Inverurie, parl. and royal burgh, and par., with ry. sta., at the confluence of the Ury with the Don, in co. and 16 miles NW. of Aberdeen - par., 4946 ac., pop. 3038; parl. burgh (partly also in Kintore par.), pop. 2931; royal burgh, pop. 2669; town (including Port Elphinstone in Kintore par.), pop. 3048; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks. Inverurie is an ancient place, claiming to have been made a royal burgh by William the Lion or Robert Bruce. It has a few small industries, and is the centre of trade for a considerable extent of surrounding country. William Thom (1799-1850), "the Weaver Poet," was for many years a resident. At the S. end of the town is a conical mound called the Bass of Inverurie. Inverurie is one of the Elgin District of Parliamentary Burghs, which returns 1 member.