Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Helmsdale within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Helmsdale, small seaport with ry. sta., Kildonan par., Sutherlandshire, at mouth of river Helmsdale, 17 miles NE. of Golspie, 60 SW. of Wick, and 682 NW. of London by rail; comprises, on the left bank of the river (which is crossed by a two-arch bridge), Helmsdale proper, with East Helmsdale, and on the right bank West Helmsdale, with Marrel and Gartymore; Helmsdale (including East Helmsdale), pop. 675; West Helmsdale (including Marrel and Gartymore), pop. 659; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Helmsdale dates from 1818; it is the head of the fishery district extending from Embo to Dunbeath, and has a commodious natural harbour, with breastwork and pier. Adjacent to the town are the ruins of an old castle of 1488, long the residence of the earls of Sutherland.