We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?Upload Photo
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Helensburgh within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Helensburgh, coast town with ry. sta., quay, and piers (one at Craigendoran), Row par., Dumbartonshire, on the N. shore of the Firth of Clyde and at the entrance to the Gare Loch, opposite Greenock (distant 4 miles), 8 miles NW. of Dumbarton, 23 NW. of Glasgow, and 404 NW. of London by rail, pop. 7693; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 2 newspapers. Helensburgh was founded in 1777 by Sir James Colquhoun of Luss, from whose wife it acquired its name. It is connected with Glasgow by both rail and steamer, and is one of the principal watering-places on the Clyde. The only industry is the herring and deep-sea fishing. On the esplanade is a monument to Henry Bell, of steam-navigation fame, who died at Helensburgh in 1830. In the vicinity of the town, which is pleasantly situated, are many fine mansions and villas.