We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?Upload Photo
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Hastings within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Hastings.-- parl. and mun. bor., watering-place, market town, and one of the Cinque Ports, E. Sussex, 34 miles E. of Brighton and 62 miles SE. of London - parl. bor. 3690 ac., pop. 47,619; mun. bor., 1826 ac. and 355 foreshore, pop. 42,258; Cinque Port, 17,855 ac., pop. 46,185; 3 Banks, 8 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday; a place of great importance in ancient times; the site of the original town is supposed to be covered by the sea. William the Conqueror landed in the vicinity and fought the famous battle of Hastings - October 14th, 1066 - at the place called Battle, 6 miles NW. Most of the town lies in a well-sheltered hollow sloping towards the sea. St Leonards is joined to it by a. row of terraces and parades. The reputation of Hastings as a watering-place was first established about the beginning of the present century, and its trade is mostly connected with the supplies required by visitors; there are also coast fisheries, and some boatbuilding and lime-burning. The bor. returns 1 member to Parliament; it returned 2 members until 1885, when its parl. limits were reduced by the exclusion of 2 detached parts, viz., Petit Iham and the Liberty of the Sluice.
A village in Baldslow hundred, in the county of Berkshire.