We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?Upload Photo
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Harwich within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Harwich, municipal bor., watering-place, seaport, and par., E. Essex, on peninsula on S. side of river Stour, at its confluence with the Orwell, 21 miles NE. of Colchester and 70 miles NE. of London - bor., 1479 ac., pop. 7842; par., 88 ac., pop. 5821; 1 Bank, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Tuesday. Harwich has been a place of note from a very early period; it was called Harwic by the Saxons. Being one of the best and safest harbours on the E. coast, its shipping is very important, especially the trade with Holland and North Germany. Steam packets ply regularly between Harwich and the Continent in connection with the Great Eastern Ry. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) The town depends a good deal upon the success of its shrimp and lobster fisheries. Other industries of the district are shipbuilding, Roman cement works, brewing, sailmaking, ropemaking, and the mfr. of artificial manure. On the snore, or Inner Ridge, abreast of Dovercourt, are 2 fixed lights (Harwich) seen 11 and 9½ miles; and near the extremity of Landguard Point is a fixed light (Harwich) seen 10 miles. Harwich returned 1 member to Parliament until 1885.