We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?Upload Photo
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Grangemouth within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Grangemouth, seaport town, Falkirk, Bothkennar, and Polmont pars., E. Stirlingshire, on Firth of Forth, at entrance of Forth and Clyde Canal, and at confluence of Grange Burn and river Carron, 3 miles NE. of Falkirk by rail, pop. 4560; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Grangemouth was founded in 1777, in connection with the construction of the Forth and Clyde Canal; in 1810 it was made a head port. It has considerable docks (opened 1843,1859, and 1882) and timber basins; and outside the harbour is a sea-wall, 850 ft. long, at which the largest ships can unload. Grangemouth is the headquarters of several steamship lines trading to London, Norway, Sweden, the Baltic, and elsewhere. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) On end of S. embankment, at entrance of river Carron, is a lighthouse with fixed light seen 10 miles. Shipbuilding (principally of iron steamers) is carried on, and there are sawmills, brick and tile works, and a rope and sail factory. Grangemouth has a Public Institute, opened 1876; a public park, presented by the Earl of Zetland, 1882; and a Town Hall, founded 1884.