We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?Upload Photo
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Fortrose within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Fortrose, parl. and royal burgh, small town, and quoad sacra par., Rosemarkie par., Ross-shire, on W. side of the Inner Moray Firth, nearly opposite to Fort George (to which there is a ferry), and 10½ miles NE. of Inverness -- par., pop. 492; town, pop. 874; parl. burgh, pop. 869; royal burgh, pop. 986; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Market-day, Friday. Fortrose consists of Fortrose proper (formerly called Chanonry, from being the chanonry of Ross, where the bishop had his residence) and Rosemarkie, about 1 mile NE. Of the cathedral (beginning of 14th century), the greater part of which was removed by Cromwell to provide materials for the erection of his fort at Inverness, there are now very few remains. Fortrose is a summer resort, its attractions being its romantic scenery, its fine links, and its facilities for sea-bathing. It has daily communication by steamer with Inverness. A new wooden pier, at which steamers can touch at all states of the tide, was erected in 1881. The harbour is safe and convenient; but there is no regular trade. Fortrose unites with Inverness, Nairn, and Forres in returning 1 member to Parliament.