We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?Upload Photo
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Folkestone within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Folkestone (or Folkstone).-- mun. bor., corporate member of the Cinque Port of Dover, market and seaport town, and par., Kent, 6 miles SW. of Dover and 71 miles SE. of London by rail -- par., 4311 ac., pop. 19,297; town, 2306 ac., pop. 18,816; mun. bor., 2481 ac., pop. 18,986; corporate member of Dover, 806 ac., pop. 15,561; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank, 4 newspapers. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. Folkestone was at an early period a place of importance. The first nunnery in England was established there by St Eanswitha, daughter of Eadbald, King of Kent, who himself had erected (630) a castle and a church at Folkestone. In 1092 Folkestone became the seat of a priory for Benedictine monks. After the Reformation its prosperity greatly declined, and it was a mere fishing village until the formation of the harbour in 1809. In 1844 it became the terminus of the South-Eastern Railway; and it is now the seat of the steam packet service to Boulogne, distant about 30 miles. It is also a summer resort, and has some fishing and a considerable shipping trade. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) A low water landing pier was erected in 1861, and the first stone of a deep water harbour was laid in October 1881. On the S. pier are 2 fixed lights seen 6 miles, and at the extremity of the new pier is a fixed light seen 6 miles. Folkestone was the birthplace of Harvey (1578-1657), discoverer of the circulation of the blood. The whole par. is within the parl. limits of Hythe.
A village in Folkestone hundred, in the county of Kent.