Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Eyemouth within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Eyemouth, coast town and par., NE. Berwickshire, on Eyemouth Bay, at mouth of Eye Water, 2½ miles NW. of Burnmouth sta., 8 NW. of Berwick upon Tweed, and 54J SE. of Edinburgh -- par., 1004 ac., pop. 2935; town, pop. 2825; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Eyemouth was a flourishing port in the reign of Alexander II. (1214-1249). In the 18th century it was a noted seat of the smugglers. It is now the headquarters of a large fishery district extending from St Abb's Head in Berwickshire to Amble in Northumberland. A new harbour was opened in 1886.