Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Elgin within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Elgin, cap. of co., parl. and royal burgh, and par., Elginshire, 5 miles by rail S. of its seaport Lossiemouth, 37 NE. of Inverness, 70 NW. of Aberdeen, 178 N. of Edinburgh, and 569 NW. of London -- par., 19,166 ac., pop. 8741; parl. burgh, pop. 7413; royal burgh, 6286; town, 7533; P.O., T.O., 7 Banks, 1 newspaper.Market-day, Friday; is finely situated on the Lossie, in the midst of an amphitheatre of wooded hills. The beauty of its scenery, the salubrity of its climate, and its schools, for which it has long been famous, make it an attractive place of residence, and it consists, in great part, of elegant mansions and villas. It is an ancient place, and contains many antiquities, notably the ruins of the Cathedral (founded 1224, burned by the "Wolf of Badenoch" 1390, restored 1424, plundered 1568), of the Bishop's town residence, and of the Convent of the Grey Friars, and the remains, on Ladyhill, of the old castle, one of the seats of Scottish royalty. Among its public buildings are Gray's Hospital (1819) and Anderson's Institution (1833). Elgin is the centre of one of the most fertile districts of Scotland and its trade is largely connected with its weekly and other markets; it has, however, some small industrial establishments, including woollen manufactories, iron-foundries, tanneries, and breweries. The Elgin Burghs return 1 member: they consist of Elgin, in co. of same name; Banff and Cullen, in Banffshire; and Inverurie, Kintore, and Peterhead, in Aberdeenshire.