We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?Upload Photo
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Eastbourne within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Eastbourne, watering-place, mun. bor., hundred, and par., E. Sussex, on the English Channel, 3 miles E. of Beachy Head and 66 SE. of London hy rail -- hundred and par., 4755 ac., pop. 21,595; mun. bor., 7597 ac., pop. 22,014; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 6 newspapers. Eastbourne originally consisted of the three hamlets of East Bourne, South Bourne, and Sea Houses. It is a rapidly growing place. In 1871 its population was only 10,361. Its principal features are the grand parade, 2½ miles long; tlne pier (1868), 1000 ft. in length; the carriage-drive along the cliff; the Devonshire park (12 ac.); the Devonshire baths; the pavilion, with its concert and floral halls, its reading rooms, &c.; and the Princess Alice Memorial Hospital (1883). Eastbourne was made a municipal borough in 1883. Many Roman antiquities have been found.
A village in Eastbourne hundred, in the county of Sussex.
Three manors recorded in Domesday.