Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Crail within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Crail parl. and royal burgh, seaport, and par. with ry. sta., E. Fifeshire, at mouth of Firth of Forth, 10 miles S.E. of St Andrews and 43 miles NE. of Edinburgh -- par., 6383 ac., pop. 1740; parl. burgh, pop. 1148; royal burgh, pop. 1145; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank; is extensively engaged in the herring fishery. On top of cliff are two towers, with white and red fixed lights seen 6 miles. C. was in former times of considerable importance. There are remains of a priory college and ruins of an old castle, once a royal residence. The burgh unites with St Andrews, Pittenweem, Cupar, E. and W. Anstruther, and Kilrenny, in returning 1 member to Parliament.