We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?
Approximate Location Map
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Compton is a village in Wiltshire
Other current and historical names
- West Chisenbury
- Chisenbury, West
- Parish/Community: Enford
- Unitary Authority: Wiltshire
- Region: South West
- Category: Populated Place
- Type: Village
- Latitude/Longitude: 51°16'4"N 1°48'39"W
- Eastings/Northings: 413289, 152084
- OS Grid: SU132520
- Mapcode Local: GBR 4YW.JYZ
- Mapcode Global: VHB4Y.KDHG
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Compton within this administrative area.
Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Compton in the Domesday Book
A village in Elstub hundred,
in the county of Wiltshire.
- Lord of the Manor in 1066: Harding son of Alnoth
- Tenant in Chief in 1086: Earl Aubrey of Coucy
- Lord of the Manor in 1086: Earl Aubrey of Coucy
- Taxable Value: 7 geld
- Value to Lord of the Manor: £10 in 1070; £10 in 1086
- Households: 5 villagers; 6 slaves; 5 other households
- Plough Teams: 1 lord's plough; 3 men's ploughs (6 plough lands)
- Meadow: 5 acres
- Pasture: 3 furlongs
- Mills: 1, value 10 shillings