We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?
Approximate Location Map
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Chitterley is a hamlet in Devon
Other current and historical names
- Parish/Community: Bickleigh
- District/Borough: Mid Devon
- County: Devon
- Region: South West
- Category: Populated Place
- Type: Hamlet
- Latitude/Longitude: 50°49'48"N 3°30'8"W
- Eastings/Northings: 294283, 104475
- OS Grid: SS942044
- Mapcode Local: GBR LH.X2HG
- Mapcode Global: FRA 36KX.190
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Chitterley within this administrative area.
Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Chitterley in the Domesday Book
A village in Silverton hundred,
in the county of Devon.
- Lord of the Manor in 1066: Hademar of 'Stockleigh'
- Tenant in Chief in 1086: Count of Mortain
- Lord of the Manor in 1086: Alfred the Breton (subinfeudated)
- Taxable Value: 3⁄4 geld
- Value to Lord of the Manor: £1 10/- in 1070; £2 in 1086
- Households: 4 villagers; 2 smallholders; 1 slave
- Plough Teams: 1 lord's plough; 3 men's ploughs (4 plough lands)
- Meadow: 9 acres
- Pasture: 16 acres
- Animals in 1086: 2 cattle