We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?Upload Photo
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Chesterfield within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Chesterfield.-- mun. bor., par., and township with ry. sta. Derbyshire, 11 miles S. of Sheffield -- par., 11,451 ac., pop. 29,039; township and bor., 328 ac., pop. 12,221; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 4 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday; has mfrs. of lace, merino, silk, cotton, earthenware, and hardware, while the neighbourhood is rich in coal, iron, lead, and clay. The trade of the place greatly increased after 1776, when Brindley constructed the C. Canal. C. has a free grammar-school, founded by Queen Elizabeth, and an institute of mining, civil, and mechanical engineers. It is a place of great antiquity, having been a Roman station on the road from Derby to York. C. has a fine church (All Saints) with a twisted spire, 230 ft. high.
A village in Scarsdale hundred, in the county of Derbyshire.