We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?
Approximate Location Map
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Cheriton is a hamlet in Devon
Other current and historical names
- Parish/Community: Brendon and Countisbury
- District/Borough: North Devon
- County: Devon
- Region: South West
- Category: Populated Place
- Type: Hamlet
- Latitude/Longitude: 51°12'19"N 3°48'38"W
- Eastings/Northings: 273599, 146684
- OS Grid: SS735466
- Mapcode Local: GBR L2.48FY
- Mapcode Global: VH4M9.WYRX
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Cheriton within this administrative area.
Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Cheriton in the Domesday Book
A village in Shirwell hundred,
in the county of Devon.
- Lord of the Manor in 1066: Ketil
- Tenant in Chief in 1086: Ralph of Pomeroy
- Lord of the Manor in 1086: Ralph of Pomeroy
- Taxable Value: 1⁄8 geld
- Value to Lord of the Manor: 10 shillings in 1070; £2 in 1086
- Households: 4 villagers; 2 smallholders; 2 slaves
- Plough Teams: 1 lord's plough; 1 men's plough (2 plough lands)
- Woodland: 20 acres
- Pasture: 2 leagues
- Animals in 1086: 27 cattle; 8 pigs