We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?
Approximate Location Map
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Charnage is a settlement in Wiltshire
Other current and historical names
- Parish/Community: Mere
- Unitary Authority: Wiltshire
- Region: South West
- Category: Populated Place
- Type: Other Settlement
- Latitude/Longitude: 51°4'57"N 2°14'12"W
- Eastings/Northings: 383500, 131500
- OS Grid: ST835315
- Mapcode Local: GBR 1WN.580
- Mapcode Global: FRA 6668.8C5
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Charnage within this administrative area.
Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Charnage in the Domesday Book
A village in Mere hundred,
in the county of Wiltshire.
- Lord of the Manor in 1066: Algar
- Tenant in Chief in 1086: Bishop of Salisbury
- Lord of the Manor in 1086: Hugh (subinfeudated)
- Taxable Value: 5 geld
- Value to Lord of the Manor: £2 in 1070; £4 in 1086
- Households: 3 villagers; 6 smallholders; 2 other households
- Plough Teams: 2 lord's ploughs; 1 1⁄2 men's ploughs (3 plough lands)
- Meadow: 10 1⁄2 acres
- Woodland: 2 furlongs
- Pasture: 3 furlongs