We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?
Approximate Location Map
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Charlton is a suburban area in Shepton Mallet, Somerset
- Built-Up Area: Shepton Mallet
- Parish/Community: Shepton Mallet
- District/Borough: Mendip
- County: Somerset
- Region: South West
- Category: Populated Place
- Type: Suburban Area
- Latitude/Longitude: 51°11'7"N 2°31'46"W
- Eastings/Northings: 363079, 143028
- OS Grid: ST630430
- Mapcode Local: GBR MT.5NXM
- Mapcode Global: VH8B1.3GJQ
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Charlton within this administrative area.
Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Charlton in the Domesday Book
A village in Whitstone hundred,
in the county of Somerset.
- Lord of the Manor in 1066: Abbey of Glastonbury St Mary
- Tenant in Chief in 1086: Abbey of Glastonbury
- Lords of the Manor in 1086: Abbey of Glastonbury; Roger of Courseulles (subinfeudated)
- Taxable Value: 20 geld
- Value to Lord of the Manor: £6 in 1070; £19 in 1086
- Households: 18 villagers; 12 smallholders; 4 cottagers; 6 slaves
- Plough Teams: 3 lord's ploughs; 8 men's ploughs (20 plough lands)
- Meadow: 53 acres
- Woodland: 90 acres
- Pasture: 70 acres
- Mills: 1, value 7¼d
- Animals in 1086: 4 cattle; 15 pigs; 1 cob