We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?
Approximate Location Map
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Challacombe is a hamlet in Devon
Other current and historical names
- Parish/Community: Challacombe
- District/Borough: North Devon
- County: Devon
- Region: South West
- Category: Populated Place
- Type: Hamlet
- Latitude/Longitude: 51°9'10"N 3°52'9"W
- Eastings/Northings: 269359, 140945
- OS Grid: SS693409
- Mapcode Local: GBR KZ.7RKY
- Mapcode Global: VH4MN.W993
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Challacombe within this administrative area.
Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Challacombe in the Domesday Book
A village in Shirwell hundred,
in the county of Devon.
- Lord of the Manor in 1066: Wulfmer
- Tenant in Chief in 1086: Bishop of Coutances
- Lord of the Manor in 1086: Drogo son of Mauger (subinfeudated)
- Taxable Value: 1⁄4 geld
- Value to Lord of the Manor: £1 in 1070; £1 in 1086
- Households: 3 villagers; 2 smallholders; 1 slave
- Plough Teams: 1 lord's plough; 1⁄2 men's plough (3 plough lands)
- Meadow: 7 acres
- Pasture: 10 acres
- Animals in 1086: 11 cattle; 10 pigs; 19 goats