We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?
Approximate Location Map
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Appley is a hamlet in Somerset
Other current and historical names
- Parish/Community: Stawley
- District/Borough: Taunton Deane
- County: Somerset
- Region: South West
- Category: Populated Place
- Type: Hamlet
- Latitude/Longitude: 50°59'6"N 3°19'27"W
- Eastings/Northings: 307137, 121470
- OS Grid: ST071214
- Mapcode Local: GBR LQ.LCLW
- Mapcode Global: FRA 36XH.YGR
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Appley within this administrative area.
Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Appley in the Domesday Book
A village in Milverton hundred,
in the county of Somerset.
Two manors recorded in Domesday.
- Lord of the Manor in 1066: Brictmer
- Tenant in Chief in 1086: Count of Mortain
- Lord of the Manor in 1086: Bretel de Sancto Claro (subinfeudated)
- Taxable Value: 1 geld
- Value to Lord of the Manor: 10 shillings in 1070; 10 shillings in 1086
- Households: 2 villagers
- Plough Teams: 1 men's plough (2 plough lands)
- Meadow: 2 acres
- Woodland: 3 acres
- Pasture: 3 acres
Meadow: 5 acres
Pasture: 10 acres
- Lord of the Manor in 1066: Northmann
- Tenant in Chief in 1086: Baldwin the sheriff
- Lord of the Manor in 1086: Drogo son of Nigel (subinfeudated)
- Taxable Value: 3⁄4 geld
- Value to Lord of the Manor: 5 shillings in 1070; 15 shillings in 1086
- Households: 4 villagers; 3 smallholders
- Plough Teams: 1⁄2 lord's plough; 1 1⁄2 men's ploughs (2 plough lands)