We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?
Approximate Location Map
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Alton is a village in Wiltshire
Other current and historical names
- Parish/Community: Figheldean
- Unitary Authority: Wiltshire
- Region: South West
- Category: Populated Place
- Type: Village
- Latitude/Longitude: 51°13'8"N 1°46'53"W
- Eastings/Northings: 415351, 146659
- OS Grid: SU153466
- Mapcode Local: GBR 4ZJ.DDS
- Mapcode Global: VHB55.2MHG
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Alton within this administrative area.
Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Alton in the Domesday Book
A village in Amesbury hundred,
in the county of Wiltshire.
- Lords of the Manor in 1066: Godric; Bolla
- Tenant in Chief in 1086: John the usher
- Lords of the Manor in 1086: Frawin of Cornwall (subinfeudated); John the usher; Turstin (subinfeudated)
- Taxable Value: 5 geld
- Value to Lord of the Manor: £5 in 1086
- Households: 4 villagers; 1 smallholder; 3 cottagers; 3 slaves
- Plough Teams: 2 lord's ploughs; 1 men's plough (4 plough lands)
- Meadow: 10 acres
- Pasture: 3 mixed measures