Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Teignmouth within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Teignmouth, market town, seaport, and watering-place, Devon, at mouth of river Teign, 15 miles S. of Exeter and 209 miles SW. of London by rail, 1238 ac., pop. 7120; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. The town consists of the two parishes of East Teignmouth (745 ac., pop. 2482) and West Teignmouth (493 ac., pop. 4638). East Teignmouth is the watering-place; West Teignmouth is the port and place of business. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) The chief industries are shipbuilding and fishing. Two of the principal objects of interest are the Den, a promenade formed from a sandbank between the town and the sea, and the wooden bridge, of 34 arches and 1672 ft. long, the longest wooden bridge in England, which connects Teignmouth with the village of Shaldon. Teignmouth furnished its quota of ships and men to the siege of Calais in 1347, and was thrice burnt by the French, twice about that time, and again in 1690.