We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?Upload Photo
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Southport within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Southport, watering-place and mun. bor., North Meols par., SW. Lancashire, 18½ miles N. of Liverpool, 37½ NW. of Manchester, and 212 from London by rail, 3665 ac., pop. 32,206; 5 Banks, 2 newspapers. At the end of the 18th century Southport was a mere collection of fishermen's huts; it is now one of the most popular watering-places in England. The air of the place is found to be favourable to those suffering from bronchitis and other chest complaints. The level sands extend along the coast as far as Liverpool, and in the environs the country is also flat and sandy; but the town is exceedingly well built, and has many attractions, among which are the promenade (960 yards); the pier (1460 yards); the Pavilion and Winter Gardens, with gardens, concert-hall, promenades, marine and fresh-water aquaria, skating-rink, &c.; the Victoria Baths, the handsomest and most convenient of their kind in the country; the Atkinson Free Library and Art Gallery; and the Hesketh Park. There are numerous hospitals, and public and private schools. Markets are held daily. Southport was made a mun. bor. in 1867.