We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?Upload Photo
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Skipton within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Skipton (or Skipton in Craven), market town, par., and township with ry. sta., N. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, near river Aire, 9 miles NW. of Keighley and 26 NW. of Leeds - par., 30,120 ac., pop. 11,760; town and township, 4245 ac., pop. 9091; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. Skipton is generally regarded as the capital of the Craven district. It has mfrs. of cotton and woollen goods, a brewery, a considerable market for corn and cattle, and a large general trade, which is much facilitated by the important railway position of the town and by the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. Skipton Castle (11th century), the ancient seat of the Cliffords, is now the residence of Lord Hothfield, their descendant. Among the other features of the town are the old parish church, the grammar school, and the Craven Baths. Limestone is extensively quarried in the neighbourhood. The Vale of Skipton is of great beauty, and contains excellent meadow-land.
A village in Craven hundred, in the county of Yorkshire.