Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Selsey within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Selsey (or Selsea), par. and vil., Sussex - par. (comprising the whole of Selsea Peninsula), 2600 ac. and 1445 tidal water and foreshore, pop. 901; vil., 7 miles S. of Chichester; P.O., T.O.; was in Saxon times a place of considerable importance, and was the seat of a bishopric which was removed to Chichester in 1075. A great part of the peninsula, including the site of the cathedral, was washed away by the sea The inhabitants are mostly employed in fishing. The coast terminates in the headland of Selsea Bill, on which is a fixed light seen 6 miles.
A village in Somerley hundred, in the county of Sussex.