Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Sandgate within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Sandgate, small town and eccl. dist. with ry. sta., Cheriton and Folkestone pars., Kent, 1½ mile SW. of Folkestone and within the parl. limits of Hythe - dist., pop. 2056; town, pop. 1669; P.O., T.O., and P.O., T.O. at Sandgate Road, 1 Bank, 1 newspaper. Sandgate has rapidly risen into repute as a watering-place, its sheltered position attracting numerous visitors. Sandgate Castle, erected in 1539 by Henry VIII., forms one of the defences of the coast; the castle was materially strengthened in 1806.