We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?Upload Photo
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Ripon within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Ripon, city, mun. bor., par., and township, West-Riding Yorkshire, on river Ure, 29½ miles N. of Leeds by rail - par. (extending into the North-Riding), 58,235 ac., pop. 16,653; township, 1561 ac., pop. 6641; bor., 1580 ac., pop. 7390; P.O., T.O., 4 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Thursday. Ripon is supposed to be of British or Roman origin. In 678 its monastery (built 661) became the seat of a bishopric, subsequently united with York. The new diocese of Ripon, created in 1836, comprises most of the West-Riding and part of the North-Riding. The cathedral, a remarkably fine edifice, was originally the church of the monastery. There is a handsome bridge over the Ure, which is here navigable. The spacious market-place is ornamented by an obelisk 90 feet high. Ripon was formerly celebrated for its spurs, but its principal manufactures now are saddle-trees, iron, machinery, leather, and varnish. It gives the title of marquis to the family of Robinson. It returned 2 members to Parliament from the time of Edward VI. until 1867, and 1 member from 1867 until 1885.
A village in Burghshire hundred, in the county of Yorkshire.