We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?Upload Photo
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of North Shields within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Shields, North, seaport, market town, and township with ry. sta., Tynemouth par., Northumberland, at mouth of river Tyne, opposite South Shields, and forming part of the parliamentary and municipal bor. of Tynemouth, 36 ac., pop. 7250; P.O., T.O., 4 Banks. North Shields has establishments for the mfr. of marine engines and chain-cables and anchors, shipbuilding yards, roperies, salt-works, and a work for earthenware and stained glass. Fishing is largely carried on. North Shields is one of the Tyne Ports. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) It has 2 light-houses - the High Lighthouse, in front of Dockwray Square, 49 ft. high, with fixed light 123 ft. above high water and seen 16 miles; and the Low Lighthouse, near Clifford Fort, 76 ft. high, with fixed light 77 ft. above high water and seen 13 miles. The whole of Tynemouth bor. is usually called North Shields. See SOUTH SHIELDS and TYNEMOUTH.