We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?Upload Photo
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Hawick within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Hawick, parl. burgh, manufacturing town, and par., Roxburghshire, at confluence of the Slitrig with the Teviot, 53 miles SE. of Edinburgh, 45 NE. of Carlisle, and 336 NW. of London by rail - par., 6112 ac., pop. 11,758; parl. burgh and town (including Wilton suburb, in Wilton par.), pop. 16,184; 4 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-day, Thursday. Hawick is an ancient place; the original church of St Mary (rebuilt 1763) dated from 1214. Remains of antiquity are - the Moat Hill, an artificial earthen mound, 312 ft. in circumference and 30 ft. high, and the old peel-tower of the barons of Drumlanrig, now forming the western side of the Tower Hotel. Hawick is the chief seat of the hosiery mfr. and one of the chief seats of the woollen mfr. in Scotland; it is also the centre of an important grazing and agricultural district, and a great market of live stock and grain. There is a complete system of underground drainage, with purification works; there is an abundant water supply, brought from Allan Water and Dod Burn; new municipal buildings (1885), and hospital (1884). The Hawick (or Border) Burghs return 1 member to Parliament: they consist of Hawick, in Roxburghshire; and Selkirk and Galashiels, in Selkirkshire.