We don't have any photos of this place yet. Why don't you be the first to upload one?
Approximate Location Map
Use two fingers to pan or zoom the map
Downicary is a settlement in Devon
Other current and historical names
- Parish/Community: Broadwoodwidger
- District/Borough: Torridge
- County: Devon
- Region: South West
- Category: Populated Place
- Type: Other Settlement
- Latitude/Longitude: 50°41'29"N 4°18'7"W
- Eastings/Northings: 237500, 90500
- OS Grid: SX375905
- Mapcode Local: GBR NN.5YL2
- Mapcode Global: FRA 17W7.V4P
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Downicary within this administrative area.
Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Downicary in the Domesday Book
A village in Lifton hundred,
in the county of Devon.
- Lord of the Manor in 1066: Cynestan of Broadwoodwidger
- Tenant in Chief in 1086: Iudhael of Totnes
- Lord of the Manor in 1086: Waldin (subinfeudated)
- Taxable Value: 3⁄8 geld
- Value to Lord of the Manor: £2 10/- in 1070; £2 in 1086
- Households: 8 villagers; 3 slaves; 6 Cottagers
- Plough Teams: 1 lord's plough; 3 1⁄2 men's ploughs (6 plough lands)
- Meadow: 40 acres
- Woodland: 20 acres
- Pasture: 2 furlongs
- Animals in 1086: 8 cattle; 20 goats