Other current and historical names
Location and coordinates are for the approximate centre of Douglas within this administrative area. Geographic features and populated places may cross administrative borders.
Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887). John Bartholomew
Douglas, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Lanarkshire -- par., 34,137 ac., pop. 2641; vil., on Douglas Water, 3¼ miles SW. of the sta., 10 ¾ miles SW. of Lanark, and Similes SW. of Edinburgh, pop. 1262; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Coal is mined, and limestone and sandstone are quarried. D. was formerly a place of importance, and a seat of considerable trade, but it has now fallen into decadence. Of the kirk of St Bride of Douglas (13th century), only a spire and the choir remain; the latter till 1761 was the burial-place of the Douglas family. About ¾ mile NE. of the vil. is Douglas Castle, seat of the Earl of Home; adjacent are the remains of the ancient castle, the seat of the old earls of Douglas -- Scott's "Castle Dangerous." Douglas gives the title of marquis to the Duke of Hamilton, and that of baron to the Earl of Home.